Value: £13 million
Client: Nottingham City Council
Anderson Green’s Duties
- Develop the detailed installation design
- Part L
- Overall building design
- Thermal envelope strategies
Harvey Hadden Leisure Centre is part of the Harvey Hadden site that contains facilities for a number of sports including athletics and football.
The projects aim was to improve and add to the facilities of the overall site, and valued at £13m the scheme is a significant investment into the local community.
Anderson Green were engaged to develop the detailed installation design information for the engineering services, energy, Part L, renewables, overall building design & thermal envelope strategies for this project.
The services design, in conjunction with the complex roof design and structural solution, used full 3D/BIM integrated design techniques to enable accurate co-ordination.
The pool environment incorporating natural day light and artificial lighting design has incorporated a unique North light arrangements and fixed lighting.
The new pool is located to the south west of the existing building where it can be highly visible on entry to the larger Harvey Hadden site.
The pools is ideally orientated to limit the amount of sunlight entering the pool hall. The design of the fenestration of the pool hall on this side of the building to control glare has been carefully balanced with a need for emphasizing the openness of the pool to the public.
Some key design features of the new leisure centre include:
- A 50 metre swimming pool with an adjustable floor that splits into two 25 metre pools. This enables more public swimming access, particularly during the day
- Two multi-use activity studios for fitness movement and dance
- A large fitness room/gym
- New male and female dry changing rooms
- A new pool changing village with baby, disabled and group/school changing areas
- A health suite incorporating a sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi
- A refurbished sports hall
- A vending area and cafeteria facilities
- Improved access and facilities for disabled people including a ‘Changing Places’ toilet
- External sports changing facilities